Thursday, February 2, 2012

What Do You Love?

The last three of my post titles have all been questions! Wow!!

Kimberly at Funky First Grade Fun is hosting a linky party about what we love.


Here's my list!




Here are few other pictures of things I loved today.

For Groundhog Day, I combined Cara's idea with Hadar's template for these little groundhogs! They designed a burrow and wrote about what was inside. I got a random terrible stomachache right when we started this, so I would like to say that it was a good semi-independent activity! 
In first grade, we are studying subtraction strategies. Today in my Math book, it suggested that I make a real life number line and hang it between two chairs. I was like, "Aight." So here it is.
Here's a close-up. I just folded over the top and taped it and it worked great! Please ignore the paper scraps in the background... clearly we had not Found It or Fixed It yet.
We used it to solve simple subtraction problems. One kid would say a problem, like 10-2. Then they would hang a clothespin from the 10 and together we would hop back 2 with the clothespin. This was pretty fun and as you can see, everyone was paying attention! Alllll 7 of them.
I think I mentioned that our Scholastic book fair is this week. I had 5 books on my teacher wishlist and I got 3 so far! And a $10 gift certificate that I can use tomorrow!
I'll pick up on the rest of the tag questions later. It's Dress to Impress Day tomorrow - my class is NOT excited. Neither am I.... I really loved being able to wear jeans this week........... :(

30 comments:

  1. Hi Jill - Thanks for linking up! I love cheese and knitting too...but I stink at making hats. :) Love the groundhog writing idea.
    Kimberly
    Funky First Grade Fun

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently saw a great idea on a blog. This teacher used a retractable clothesline from Home Depot for her number line. I've got string that I put across the room, but it doesn't work as well as the clothesline idea I'm sure.

    Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've been tagged!! Head over to my blog to check it out.
    Beth
    Thinking of Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  4. First I loved reading the things you loved. Then, I really loved the real-life number line and started thinking about what other concepts could be "super-sized." But then I noticed that your students are wearing Chicago jerseys and got so excited when I realized that you must live in Illinois too. (I always assume that bloggyy people are very far away for some reason)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I'm in a far out suburb!! It was Sports Day and my students are HARDCORE Bears fans. I couldn't have been happier for the Bears' season to end... they were a bit crazy every Monday morning.

      Delete
  5. Just stopping by to see what you love! Drop by when you can!

    Blessings,
    Rebecca

    The Teacher's Chatterbox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed reading what you love and your number line is great.

    Elizabeth

    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the clothes line. You've got me thinking. I love to knit too!
    Have a great day!
    ❀Beth Ann❀
    Taming My Flock of Firsties
    bakteach16@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. That clothes line is a great idea. It's easier for the kids to see and reach then the huge one I have on the wall around my room. I love to talk about my class all the time too!

    Tiffany

    For the Love of Teaching
    msdivastatus305@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just found your blog. I am a new follower.

    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome, thanks for sharing wonderful stuff.

    Thanks
    Improve your Rankings

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...