Wednesday, April 25, 2012

E is for Experiment!

I haven't been very diligent about updating you all on our ABC Countdown!! :(

So far we have gotten through A - Animal Day, B - Buddy Reading Day, C - Clean-Up Day, and D - Dancing Day. Dancing Day was definitely the best and reminded me that I NEED to incorporate movement breaks into my day on the regular!

Yesterday was E, Experiment Day! I was looking for something quick and fun, so I looked around online and found this cute little experiment using only a few materials: Skittles, bowls, and water!
Before we started, we each made a hypothesis about what would happen if we put Skittles in water. Some thought the Skittles would disappear, some thought they'd dissolve, and one wishful thinker thought they'd explode. Haha!

What really happens is that the colors come off and make a beautiful little display!

Here we are in our little experiment circle!
I gave each of the kids 3 Skittles. Then I filled their bowls with JUST enough water to cover a Skittle (so, hardly any). Then I instructed the kids to carefully place their 3 Skittles equally apart so they weren't touching in the bowl. And that was it!
It will take a few minutes to start dissolving, so don't despair if you don't see the color instantly start to spread! I was a little worried at first, but it just needed some time.
The kids are still talking about it excitedly today! Super fun, super simple, and hardly any cleanup. :)

3 comments:

  1. Looks like fun. I am going to have to remember this ABC countdown for next year. My DVD came today. I loved watching it. Thanks again!~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! So happy to hear you received it. :)

      Delete
  2. What a fun activity. Next week we will be doing several math activities with Skittles. I'm going to add this one to it. Thanks!


    First Grade Delight
    imgoingfirst@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...