Do you incorporate any skits or role-playing into your lessons?
I don't, typically, but today in Social Studies our lesson was about fairness. We talked about how to know whether or not something is fair. We decided, as a class, that if everyone is equal and doesn't get left out, then it's fair!
Then I made groups of 3 and they acted out a little skit of an unfair situation and how they could make it fair.
The situations were mostly about having to share something... an orange, a book, a pizza, and a swing. Sharing is not one of our strong points, so I figured it would be worth a chance to talk about it again.
Later on, when 3 kids wanted to be on the computer during Math Stations, we figured out that it would be fair if each kid got to be on the computer for 5 minutes! Yay for Social Studies extending into our everyday classroom life. :)
I also wanted to share this cute display that the Preschool and Kindergarten classes collaborated on.
I overheard the teachers talking about it and I think that the preschool teacher bought a foam kit from Walmart to make the owl, and then she just traced the pieces and made a template out of them! If you're an owl lover, maybe look into that? It is really cute.
And I got an early Valentine's Day gift from one of my kiddos.
I'm not a cake lover so I passed this onto my BTF (best teaching friend). But how thoughtful!!
Guess what, people? It's my last set of questions!!! Thanks to Taylor at Baking... Crafting... & Teaching... Oh My! for tagging me. :)
- What is your favorite thing about your job? I like spending my days with cute little kids. I'd much rather deal with their drama than the drama of adults!!! Also I just like teaching new things to people!
- How long have you been teaching? Since August! I am a newbie. It is going to be so weird in the fall saying that I'm a second-year teacher!!!
- What is your favorite grade to teach? I love my first and second grade friends. But I also really like third grade! I don't have a ton of experience over third grade... but as a rule I am pretty laid-back, so I think I would try out any grade!
- What is your favorite children's book? I'm really getting into Splat the Cat books! So, so, so cute. I got Love, Splat and Splish, Splash, Splat from our book fair! Yay parents!!
- If you could go anywhere in the world, where would it be? Well, one of my students is leaving tomorrow for Disney World. I wouldn't mind going there - no snow!
- What is your favorite movie? Yay! I love watching the same movies over and over. I love Love Actually, Big Fish, My Cousin Vinny, and Wall E!
- What is your favorite stress relieving activity? I don't really get stressed a lot... but I do like to knit. Mostly I love to read!!!! I love to fall into another world.
- What are your school's colors? Navy blue and white. The kids have to wear red, white, or blue tops every day and navy or khaki pants! It is very boring on the eyes.
- What college did you graduate from? I went to Northern Illinois University, NIU! I was on campus the day of the school shooting in 2008 on Valentine's Day, the 4 year anniversary is coming up soon. Very scary.
- What is your favorite "quick night" dinner meal? Haha, I don't cook because I live with my parents. However... I love grilled cheese if I need something really quick! Or oatmeal is a favorite no matter what time of day. :)
- What about teaching do you find the most stressful/difficult? I think it's just not having a lot of experience to always know how to handle any given situation. Like the other day, one of my students said that his dad told him if someone hits him, he should hit the person back. WHAT! No!!!!!!!! Please no. We have enough hitting and pinching and slapping going on in my class, please don't tell your kid to engage in combat in first grade!!
- What is something you plan on doing this coming summer? I think I am signed up to take Reading in a New Language...... other than that, I'll be working at el banco and hopefully spending time at the beach on Lake Michigan by my boyfriend's apartment!!! Yeah!!! I love the beach and I love Chicago so much!!
And speaking of Chicago..... I am so going tomorrow!!!!! We are going to Chinatown so I can get in some clinical hours for my Cross-Culture class and so we can have some delicious food, and then we are going to the Museum of Science and Industry!!! I am so super excited, especially since I get to take the El!!!!!!!! My fave.