Saturday, July 2, 2011

Fall Read-Alouds

Mrs. Parker, over at Learning With Mrs. Parker, is having a linky party about our favorite read-alouds! People are mainly writing about newer books, but I will just let you know my very favorite read-alouds. :)

Oh, Froggy. I love you so! I first heard about Froggy books when I did a clinical in sixth grade. The sixth grade teacher used this books to teach the Six Traits. They are super funny, and they're perfect for first and second graders! Froggy's First Kiss is one of my favorite Froggy books... but that is not really a "fall" read-aloud. :)
I just picked up Grace for President at a Scholastic book fair, and it is SO GOOD! I can't wait to use it to teach about elections. It really goes in-depth (for a children's book) into the electoral college. Also, this is one of my favorites because I am a big gender equality proponent, and I love that Grace is outraged that there has never been a female president!
I just heard about Pete the Cat from Fran at Kindergarten Crayons (who even made a Math Mat to go along with the book!). This book has such a great message, and I love the illustrations. :)
It's hard to pick just one Mo Willems book, but this was the first Mo Willems book I ever read, so it has a special place in my heart. And if you haven't read the most recent Trixie story, Knuffle Bunny Free, you have to!! Go now!!
And another new favorite! Little Pea has THE CUTEST illustrations ever, and the storyline is funny, too. Little Pea just wants to eat his spinach, but he can't until he finishes his candy dinner! I can't wait to read this to my class in the fall, I think they are going to laugh their heads off.

What are your favorite read-alouds?




5 comments:

  1. Thanks for your book recommendations. I have never seen Little Pea. It looks too cute. What a great book to use with making healthy choices. I love it. I can see myself using this for my food and nutrition unit.

    I love Froggy books as well. Froggy's First Kiss is my favorite too. I bought a lit set a few years ago and always enjoy reading it with my first graders. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Grace for President! When I used to teach 2nd grade I read that book to my class and there is a part in it where Grace tells what she would change at her school if she's elected. My students then did a big writing project about what they would change about our school...some even wrote persuasive letters to the principal :)

    Meredith
    Keen on Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an AWESOME idea, Meredith! I love it, I will have to file that one away in my brain. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jill -

    I see that you love literature in your profile so here's the address of our school's Books That Teach list - they all have a character-development and/or friendship theme - there may be some new titles for you.

    http://www.fisdk12.net/wb/character/books_teach.html

    Barbara
    corneroncharacter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Barbara! I've heard of only a couple of those. I'll definitely bookmark that for next year! Our school hasn't adopted a character education program, so I'd like to integrate character lessons throughout the year.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...