Monday, July 25, 2011

New School Year Resolutions

[Love Calvin and Hobbes. :)]
A new school year is starting (3 weeks from today will be my last summer day!) and I have made some resolutions! Here's what I'm resolving to do this year.

  1. Keep a journal every day listing something that went well and something that didn't go so well. My student teaching supervisor recommended this to me and I think it's a great idea! It will be refreshing to read all the things that went well when I'm having a bad day, and it will give me a chance to reflect on things that I can improve!
  2. Start and follow through on the Daily Five. I tend to get these great inspirations in my brain and then not keep up with them. I think the Daily Five framework will REALLY help my students, and I want to do whatever I can to help them become better readers!
  3. Do all my grading/planning at school and go home to relax. I really like staying after school in the peaceful quiet to get things done, so this resolution won't be too hard to keep.
  4. Celebrate lots of holidays with my kiddos - especially multicultural holidays! It would be easy to just do the next page in the reading basal or the next worksheet in math, but I want to expose my students to new things in my classroom! Figuring out how to use chopsticks for Chinese New Year, or creating origami for Japanese Children's Day, will help my students to see that there is a world outside the cornfields...
  5. Keep my desk cleaned off! I am a piler, but I find that if I can just put things away as soon as I'm done with them, I can keep my desk clean. What a novel concept!!
What are your new school year resolutions? Link up with Clutter-Free Classroom to share!
Clutter-Free Classroom

2 comments:

  1. A big YES to your first one! I don't know how you'll have your lesson plans but I bought a weekly planner and it was so fun looking back at little notes I left myself about how it went!

    I'm inspired to celebrate more holidays with my kiddos, what a great commitment!

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great resolutions! I really like #4-I think it is important to expose our students to new things. There are also tons of great multicultural books out there that would go great with your holiday lessons. I have many ELL students in my class so I have been trying for the last few years to expand my collection of multicultural literature.
    ~Meredith
    Keen on Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...